Saturday, August 23, 2008

tropical storm exception to drinking rules

it has arrived. my first tropical storm while living at the beach and i have to admit that in some weird, never-experienced-a-hurricane ignorant way, i am disappointed with it so far. don't misunderstand me, i certainly don't want any damages or injuries, but some excitement or something to give closure to the media-induced hype and it just hasn't come. the weather channel has guilted me into creating a hurricane preparedness kit (which thus far consists of 3 flashlights and a 12-pack) and chastised me for not having a family disaster plan (although i did tell the kids to run, preferably with the crowd, screaming, hands in the air). seriously though, does it really help to have a family disaster plan? isn't the lack of planning the cornerstone of a disaster? i suppose i have officially jinxed myself and those within a 60-mile radius of me for the rest of this hurricane season.
i did decide, based on the empty shelves in the beer refrigerators at the convenience store here, that tropical storms now qualify for an exception to my one-beer-per-day rule. unfortunately for me though, tropical storm fay has arrived on a saturday when a well-established exception is already in effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment