Thursday, March 25, 2010

green with irritation

i went for a run the other day in my new town. the run ended in 5-points, an area of town that thinks a lot of itself. because there is an earth fare (over-priced specialty grocery store) in 5-points, i decided on the spur of the moment to pick up my kids' organic gummy vitamins. but on the way to the vitamins, i picked up some fancy cheese, some special crackers, a bottled water (because i was thirsty) and a few other items. well, because it was on the spur of the moment, i did not bring my own grocery bags despite that i am an avid recycler and reuser - and by avid, i mean obsessive. so i put my items on the belt and the cashier rang them up and pushed them on down the line. i swiped my card and the transaction was complete. only my groceries were still sitting there on the giant silver tray. the tray that up to this point i had considered to be a holding area until the cashier or i placed the grocery items into a receptacle that i would then transport to my vehicle. however, no such receptacle presented itself. and the cashier looked at me and i at him until finally, the silence was broken by his statement that i could pay five cents for a bag or i could carry my groceries out without one. trying to explain to him that i usually brought bags was like trying to explain to the guy at the liquor store that all three six-packs were not for me. futile. we ended up compromising - apparently the cashier could provide me with a box to carry my purchased items in and then we would be reusing a box and the store would not charge me for that. so i took my box of organic and special things to my car and everyone was happy. well, happy might be an overstatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment