Wednesday, March 31, 2010

online rejection

because i am new in my town and through a series of unfortunate events ended up homeschooling my son, i haven't made a lot of friends. well, i tell myself those are the reasons for my lack of friends. and as a pathetic attempt to remedy this, i decided to join an online but local homeschooling group. as i perused the posts from other women in my area unfortunate enough to homeschool, i realized why i have such difficulty finding friends. i had ruled out several of the group members as potential friends based solely on their children's names. i know, this seems harsh. but seriously, i don't see my son mac getting together to obsess over video games with aspen and cedar. similarly, i ruled out several members based solely on their usernames, including cooksfromscratch, myhighercalling, birthchic (this one just grossed me out a little) and faith41jesus. i rejected another member because she was selling a book called "baking with whole grains," which she described as emphasizing "a biblical creation perspective." seriously? a book on baking with whole grains managed to squeeze in some biblical creation? i almost bought the book from her just to see how one might accomplish such a daunting writing task. but this is the problem with trying to find friends online - you don't see the whole package. in person, despite baking with whole grains, this person may actually dislike her kids, drink too much, and possess all of the other qualities i am looking for in a friend. i mean, afterall, she is selling the book. or maybe she bought the book to torture her children by feeding them whole grains and simultaneously emphasizing biblical creation. or maybe the book was a gift from a friend she met online, perhaps faith41jesus. so as i went down the list of group members, rejecting them one-by-one for their virtual flaws, i realized, i need to get out more. i am much more confident in my ability to reject people in person.

8 comments:

  1. You are fun to read! I never would have imagined you would grow up and be so sarcastic! You are fun! Patty Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRILLIANT!!!
    Your writing starts my day off laughing!!
    Have you seen the movie 'Julia and Julia'?
    Its not the cooking movie it appears to be...its funny and the other Julia has a lot of your qualities...watch it..and keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am laughing so hard right now.
    did you happen to see the onion article about homeschooling? it is pretty recent, you should check it out. it is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are probably better off staying at home. There are some scary folks out there. I find myself being a home body too. I talk to my dog all the time, funny, he doesn't back talk as much as my teenage boys do.Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you know Becky bakes her own whole grain bread and used to have a 10 lb. bag of grain stored in her pantry! Just sayin'......

    Krissy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you attempt to befriend the baking nut....think of the stories if she turns out to be a total wacko.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY FUNNY--I homeschooled for years--you are probably better off not befriending!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete