Wednesday, April 8, 2009

the easter bunny and other crap

i can play along with a lot of things - like santa claus and even the tooth fairy, but trying to tell my kids with a straight face that a giant bunny comes into our home and leaves them candy seems wrong to me. a few years back, my daughter inquired "is the easter bunny a real rabbit?" i was stumped but somehow managed to change the subject. what was i going to tell her? either yes, a giant bunny is able to penetrate a deadbolt and bypass our alarm to get candy into her basket or i could ruin it for her which would have likely lead to more questions about other fictitious beings that sneak into houses in the dead of night to bring treats to children.
but i think what bothers me most about easter (and valentine's day for that matter) is that target and wal-mart manage to fill two aisles with holiday-related crap. am i seriously expected to decorate my home for easter? i think an easter-egg wreath represents all that is wrong with our society - or perhaps it is just a reflection of my inadequacies as a homemaker and member of society. who can be sure? but don't go thinking that i am not a complete hypocrite - my kids will have baskets full of all of my favorite candies and we are going to an easter egg hunt on saturday. maybe, if i am really motivated, i can get them to church on sunday and they can learn about whatever role jesus used to play in easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment