Wednesday, April 15, 2009

not cool

it's inevitable. getting older changes you. you become less fun. teenagers have it right - people over 30 (especially those with kids) are not cool and if you are over 30 and teenagers do think you are cool, you are probably a loser. i thought about this a few years ago while sitting in traffic. i was trying to get into a left turn lane at a busy intersection and some asshole wouldn't let me over. so when the light changed, i gunned my jeep cherokee and cut in front of him, making my left turn almost up on two wheels. which was all fine until i realized that during the turn, somehow the back part of my jeep had flown open and my double stroller had catapulted from the jeep and come to a rest dead in the middle of the intersection. and so it was after i pulled over and walked into middle of the intersection and retrieved my stroller that it hit me that i would never be cool again. and it wasn't as though up to this point i had thought of myself as particularly cool. rather, i had enjoyed the possibility of it. i have long since said goodbye to that notion although i still grieve it on occasion.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa Nelly,
    There is definitely a cool factor for the jeep wheelie ditchin the double stroller mid-intersection!
    30 years from now, you'll be tellin this sames story as one of the "coolest moments you can rememeber!"
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete