Monday, May 11, 2009

dog drama

my mother's day started out like any other, so you can imagine my surprise when it developed into one of those faith-in-humanity-restoring kind of days. forget all my previous posts saying how much people get on my nerves. from here on out, it's going to be all praise for the people. or at least to the end of this blog entry.
i slept late (that means until 8am at my house) and then i had my usual cinnamon toast and coffee. steve got the waverunner (the only water craft that we can afford) out and we took turns taking the kids out on it. after lunch, we walked across the busy 4-lane road to the santa rosa sound where our waverunner was parked (unauthorized, at the end of a dock of a vacation rental that is not ours but that is very convenient to our house). our dog sulley, an 8-year old lab with a slow-growing malignant tumor and bad hips who absolutely loves the water, came along with us on the walk over. we had no qualms about bringing her since she has never once wandered. in fact, once she dug out of our fenced back yard only to go to the front door where she cried until we let her inside. but back to the story - so, amelia and i took the wave runner out into the sound and steve took a reluctant sulley back across the street to our house. steve went inside and quickly realized sulley was no longer with him and began looking for her. amelia and i returned about 45 minutes later and got the bad news. we started looking and calling for her. several neighbors came out to help. then some people spotted me from out on their dock and told me that a family had just come by in a boat with a dog asking if anyone was looking for this yellow lab. but the boat had left and was headed towards gulf breeze. the people on the dock offered to take their boat out and stop the boat with our dog. and they did just that. the family that rescued my dog brought her back to the dock and unloaded her. she was wet and tired but looked happy to see me. apparently, sulley had crossed four lanes of traffic and followed us deep into the sound and had been swimming for at least 20 minutes when this family found her. i know that i would have done the same thing had i seen a dog out there - assuming that in this fantasy i had a boat - but that doesn't change how grateful i am that so many people were willing to help us. and this concludes my feel-good story. i will try not to let it happen again.

3 comments:

  1. At least if we have to endure a feel-good blog entry, it is inspired by Sulley and that makes it entirely palatable. And yes, I had to look up that word to spell it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Sulley is okay! Not to make this about me, but my family ignored Mother's Day except to go to a brunch for my mother-in-law. I handed out art supplies to my children and demanded they make me a card and told them not to forget it in the future.

    And dammit! How do you people get your facebook profile picture to show up on this page! Someone please tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. re mother's day - i bought myself some chocolates after telling amelia to tell steve that was all i wanted. there will be a blog entry about this.

    ReplyDelete